What is personal information?
Some types of personal information are designated as 'sensitive information', which are subject to additional protection under the Privacy Act. For example, these can include information about your health, your biometric information, your racial or ethnic origin, your religious or philosophical beliefs, your sexual orientation or practices, or any cranial record.
What types of personal information do we collect?
The types of personal information we collect about you will depend on the purpose for which the personal information is collected. This can include:
- if you use a social media account to register or log in to our products or services – your social media account information, including your name and other profile information;
- if you use our products or services to share a link with other users – the other users' social media account information, including their name and other profile information;
- if you have requested to receive news about exclusive offers, promotions, or events – your name, mailing or street address, email address, and telephone number(s);
- if you use our products or services while accessing an ecommerce website that you are registered with – your name, email address, profile photo, and other relevant account information;
- if you have contacted us to make a complaint, provide feedback, submit an enquiry, request a call-back – your name, mailing or street address, email address, and telephone number(s);
- in the case of prospective employees or contractors – information contained in your application or résumé, recorded during any interview, or obtained through any pre-employment checks, and government-issued identifiers such as tax file numbers; and
- in the case of our suppliers and distributors – your name, mailing or street address, email address, and telephone number(s).
Zyft automatically collects product data or technical information and analytics about websites that you visit, so we can procure information about deals that are relevant to you or provide product recommendations. We do not track behaviour on all websites; specifically, we do not track behaviour on any website that may be deemed sensitive information or is unrelated to online comparison. This technical information includes information about the type of device you are using, your device's unique ID (where available), your device's operating system, the browser type you are using, your IP address, event stamp, and error logs.
How do we collect personal information?
We will collect your personal information, including when you:
- access or use our website;
- install and use our browser extension or other products or services;
- use our browser extension while visiting ecommerce websites;
- sign up to receive news and exclusive offers, promotions, or events from us;
- enter surveys, competitions, promotions conducted by us;
- request information or material from us;
- make inquiries about us or about our products or services or otherwise communicate with us by email, by telephone, in person, via a website or otherwise; or
- apply to work with us or are engaged by us as a contractor.
We also use the following technologies to collect product data or technical information and general analytics:
- cookies, which are data files that are placed on your device and often include an anonymous unique identifier. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org; and
- web beacons, tags, and pixels, which are electronic files used to record information about how you browse our websites
Can you choose not to disclose your personal information?
If you contact us to make a general enquiry about us or our business, you do not have to identify yourself or provide any personal information to us. Alternatively, you can also notify us that you wish to deal with us using a pseudonym.
However, if we are not able to collect personal information about you, we might not be able to provide you with the information or assistance you require. For example, we would not be able to send you information you have requested if you have not provided us with a valid email address or telephone number.
How do we use your personal information?
In general, we use your personal information for purposes connected with our business.
Some of the specific purposes for which we use your personal information are as follows:
- to provide our products and services to you;
- to enable the proper operation and functionality of our products and services, including to enable you and other users to find relevant products and prices, and to improve Zyft's comparison features;
- to verify your identity (for example, if you request access to the personal information that we hold about you);
- to consider you for a job at Zyft (whether as an employee or contractor) or for some other business relationships with us;
- to communicate with you and to address any issues or complaints that we or you may have regarding your relationship with us;
- for direct marketing purposes (see the "Direct marketing" section below); and
- to contact you regarding the above, including via electronic messaging such as SMS and email, by mail, by phone or in any other lawful manner.
We may also use or disclose your personal information for our administrative, marketing (including direct marketing), planning, product or service development, quality control, survey and research purposes and for other purposes to which you have consented, or as otherwise permitted or required by law.
We use technical information to make sure that our products and services are working correctly, to make your experience better, and to detect and prevent fraud. We also use technical information and general analytics to help us coordinate our communications and marketing campaigns, and to understand how our users engage with our products and services.
To whom do we disclose personal information?
We may disclose your personal information to third parties in connection with the purposes described above (see the "How do we use your personal information?" section).
This may include disclosing your personal information to the following types of third parties:
- our related companies;
- any potential third party acquirer of our business or assets, and advisors to that third party;
- our professional advisers (such as lawyers, accountants or auditors) and insurers;
- our employees, contractors and third party service providers who assist us in performing our functions and activities e.g. cloud service providers, data storage providers, shipping companies, telecommunications providers and IT support services providers;
- organisations authorised by us to conduct promotional, research or marketing activities;
- third parties to whom you have authorised us to disclose your information (e.g. referees); and
- any other person as required or permitted by law.
Direct marketing communications
We will only send you direct marketing communications (either through mail, SMS or email), including news, offers, promotions or events, where you have consented to do so.
You may opt-out of receiving direct marketing communications at any time by contacting us or by using opt-out facilities provided in the direct marketing communications.
Does personal information leave Australia?
We store personal information in servers that are located in Australia. We may disclose your personal information to overseas recipients, such as to our service providers located overseas, in order to provide its products and services and to obtain services. It is not practical for us to list every country where such overseas recipients may be located, however such countries are likely to include the United States of America.
Except where an exception applies under the Privacy Act or other relevant legislation, we will take commercially reasonable steps to ensure that overseas recipients to whom we disclose personal information do not breach the Australian Privacy Principles stated in the Privacy Act in relation to such information.
How do we protect your personal information?
We will take reasonable precautions to protect your personal information from misuse, loss, or unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. However, the Internet is inherently insecure, and so we cannot necessarily guarantee the security of transmission of personal information you disclose to us online. Accordingly, you transmit your personal information to us online at your own risk.
Please notify us immediately if you become aware of any breach of security
How long will we keep your personal information?
When personal information is no longer required, we will take reasonable steps to delete the personal information from our systems or de-identify the personal information.
How can you access and correct your personal information?
You can request access to any personal information we hold about you at any time by contacting us. We will give you access to that information in accordance with the Privacy Act, subject to any exemptions that may apply. We may charge an administration fee in limited circumstances, for example if we are required to.
If you believe that personal information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you can ask us to amend it by contacting us.
What is the process for complaining about a breach of privacy?
If you have any questions, concerns or complaints about our collection, use, disclosure or management of your personal information, please contact us in writing using the contact details below.
We will make inquiries and your complaint will be assessed by an appropriate person with the aim of resolving any issue in a timely and efficient manner.
If you are unsatisfied with the outcome, we will advise you about further options including, if appropriate, a review by the Privacy Commissioner within the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Local exemptions and inconsistency with law
Where local laws allow for an exemption to compliance with certain legal obligations (for example, the employee records exemption), we may rely on such an exemption.
How to contact us
If you have a query, concern or complaint about the manner in which your personal information has been collected or handled by us or would like to request access to or correction of the personal information we hold about you, please contact using the details provided below:
Attention: Privacy OfficerEmail: email@example.com
Last updated: 15 September 2021